Aptana 1.5 Released
A good IDE tool which I frequently use for my web developments Aptana was updated to version 1.5!
A new version is now based on the latest Eclipse 3.5 (Galileo) platform.The main improvements developers promised to the public are significant performance boost and less memory consumption (man, at last!).
Well, these two things always were in the top list of disadvantages of all Eclipse based IDE's. I'm usually getting pissed of by Aptana's freeze's and overloads, hope this won't happen again. Here is the full list of features taken from Aptana.com website:
- Performance, Performance, and Memory Usage - One of the first things you will notice with Aptana Studio 1.5.0 is better performance and less memory consumption.
- Eclipse 3.5 (Galileo) is now the base platform for Aptana Studio.
- 64-Bit Platform Compatibility (32-Bit JVM still required)
- Browse and manage your databases with the new Database Explorer.
- File bugs and enhancement requests from within Studio by going to Help > Aptana Help > Troubleshooting > Submit Aptana Bug or Feedback...
- Updated Windows bundled Multilingual JRE to 1.6.0_13
- Mac version is now Cocoa based.
- JSON Editor and Report where moved from Pro features to community edition.
- More FTP and Synchronization Fixes
- Updated XULrunner 1.8 to XULRunner 1.9
- SFTP - Public Key Authentication
- More Database Fixes
- More FTP and Synching Fixes
- The web server configuration now includes the DocumentRoot property, simplifying the use of some web frameworks.
- Install only the plugins you need with the Install Additional Features wizard, which runs on launch and from the Help menu. Options include, but are not limited to:
- Ajax library support, including jQuery, Dojo, Ext JS, YUI, and many others
- Aptana Jaxer v1.0.3 (Release Notes)
Bad news are looks like you won't be able to upgrade your Aptana Studio from 1.2.7 to 1.5, so you'll need to install everything from scratch (that's what I'm doing right now). The reason: a completelly new Eclipse 3.5 platform. However, developers provided upgrade instructions here: http://update.aptana.com/update/studio/3.2/ (so you can try to upgrade at first). For the full Aptana 1.5 download go there: http://www.aptana.com/studio/download.
My quick advice to Aptana team. As a web producer I saw one big mistake made by Aptana's marketing team (if one exists). If you're reading this, promote your new version releases more heavily, if not your CEO's twitter box on the main page, I won't ever knew about Aptana 1.5 release (however, I visit your site relativelly often). I suggest you to make a big banner on the main page as well as on other Aptana.com pages.